Monday, April 19, 2010

The Ocean - Heliocentric


Photobucket
From: Germany
Year: 2010
Genre: Post Metal, Sludge, Progressive

I haven't had a chance to really listen to this album in full, but from what I've heard(not only from the album, but from reviewers as well), it seems to have a pretty positive reception. One thing I have liked about The Ocean, is the lyrical themes it presents throughout each album. Their first effort, Precambrian, was of course in reference to various geological eras. This new album seems to be in more of my field of expertise in that it apparently refers to astronomical phenomena. But curiously I think it is probably much more broad as shown by titles like "firmament" and "swallowed by the earth" which seem to be biblical in subject (not to mention "Heliocentric" refers to the replacing of the archaic Ptolemaic view of a Geocentric solar system with the modern system proposed by Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler). So I guess it's religious then. I haven't read the lyrics yet but I guess I'm going to have to now.



Photobucket

No comments: