Friday, December 16, 2011

Best of 2011 - Volume 16 - Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm



Photobucket





From: USA
Year: 2010/2011
Genre: Black Metal

This album was on a lot of year end blog lists last year because it leaked early, but because it wasn’t released in the US until January (according to Hells Headbangers) AND because I slept on it most of this year AND because it’s my favorite BM album of the year, I’m putting it on this list. Ok, lets get the issue of the vocals out of the way right now. Yes, I know Dagon sounds like a demonic inter-dimensional frog and I will admit that the first time I heard it I did not like his voice at all. But the riffs are so incredibly sick, seriously this is like some next level shit here, that I kept listening until eventually it grew on me. Both Dagon’s vocals and guitar playing are very unique, the closest comparison I can come up with is a more raw/bestial version of Abbath of Immortal’s vocals and guitar playing on At the Heart of Winter, or if you took Immortal, Sarcofago and Celtic Frost and put them in a cosmic blender and ejected the remains through a wormhole. But even those comparisons do this album no justice. You really have to hear it for yourself. The fact that there are only two people making this unholy racket is pretty amazing. Incubus is a solid drummer and he does a great job of complimenting the riffs in every way, shifting from razor blasts to stomping death marches in the blink of an eye. Definitely not for everyone, but if you give it a chance and allow yourself to get hypnotized by the demonic entity that is Dagon, you might find yourself drifting through the cosmic void, blissfully unaware, until your feet touch scorched earth again, that you have just listened to one of the best black metal albums in years.
Get a copy from Hells Headbangers.




Photobucket

No comments: